The first settlers in Wallingford appeared in 1773 and carved out an area roughly 6 miles by 6 miles with mountains on two sides and a river meandering through it’s center. Within a few years mills that produced the world’s finest pitchforks grew along the river. Prosperous mill owners built grand mansions along Wallingford’s Main Street and many of these homes are still standing. Over time the town grew with smaller hamlets scattered along it’s edges and the tiny pitchfork mill growing into the company Tru-Temper, eventually becoming a world class multi-national company.
Over a hundred years later our town is still a mill town with Tru- Temper’s 7 a.m. whistle calling workers to begin their way to the mill that now produces wooden handles for shovels, and other tools. Other aspects of our town are also still trapped in time: village residents are required to collect their mail at the village post office ensuring daily greetings and conversation. The old smoke house Wallingford Locker sends the smell of bacon smoking over corn cobs ever so lightly through the air. Children frolic on the beach of Elfin Lake a short walk from Main Street while hikers transcend the steep paths of White Rocks Park and its chilly ice beds.
The people of Wallingford realize that the outside world is there, but rest well knowing that at least in one place time ticks slowly by.